We expect each employee to adhere to Core Behavioral Values based on Chapman culture and values critical to support the mission of the organization:
Integrity – Stick by your principles, even when it isn’t convenient or profitable.
Excellence – Always strive to be the best, work with the best, and for the best.
Teamwork – Remember that we can only succeed as a team. By supporting your fellow team member’s development, achievement, and happiness, you are also supporting your own.
Stewardship – We have a fundamental responsibility to care for our environment and the communities in which we live and work. They do not exist for our benefit; we could not exist without them.
Careful Growth – Build a company that sustains and perpetuates itself by investing in long – term profits over short term gains.
The Project Assistant (‘PA’) provides comprehensive support to the company’s project management and field supervisor staff on designated commercial construction projects. The PA assists with a broad range of project-oriented activities to help ensure that the project is completed within the prescribed time frame and funding parameters.
This role is accountable for effectively coordinating with project staff (project management, field staff, and accounting) to stay abreast of project progress as well as to ensure completion of responsibilities; includes providing oversight of subcontractors, as well as coordination of design professionals (architects, engineers, consultants etc.).
- Generate and track project activities, subcontractors, progress, and changes across multiple platforms
- Coordinate subcontractor activities; ensure timely completion of tasks and escalation of any safety concerns
- Track, organize and log all subcontractor documents to include bids, RFIs, purchase orders, submittals, change orders
- Generate, maintain, and update project directories
- Assist with applying for building permits
- Project document control: manage/organize/distribute project documents both electronic & hard copies for field & office staff. This includes plans, addenda, bulletins, sketches, RFIs, submittals, safety meetings, etc.
- Attend weekly meetings, generate minutes and distribute
- Collect all closeout information and assemble as-built packages (hard & electronic copies)
- Participate in PA Day in the Field program
- Escalate any concerns, issues or delays relative to project work, subcontractor performance or other activities that may impact project completion
- Participate in company-sponsored training programs, meetings and seminars
- Maintain necessary training certifications such as OSHA, CPR, etc.
- Complete a 30-hour OSHA training within one year of employment and ongoing as necessary
- Perform other functions as required
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS (EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE/CERTIFICATES/LICENSES):
- Possesses a minimum four-year degree from college or university
- Demonstrated efforts towards continued development and growth in the construction industry; continuing education, coursework and seminars
- A valid driver’s license and reliable transportation are required
LANGUAGE SKILLS, MATHEMATICAL SKILLS, AND REASONING ABILITY:
- Language Skills – Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general
- Mathematical Skills – Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs. Ability to apply the tools of technology to carry out mathematical
- Reasoning Ability – Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized
- Experience working with project management software (Procore, Timberline, Microsoft projects, )
- Experience working with on-screen take-off software
- Experience reviewing construction documents (plans and specs)
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 55 pounds
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus
- The noise level is the work environment is usually moderate
- Driving or riding in vehicles or extended periods of time is occasionally required
- Being present on active construction sites where outdoor weather conditions, fumes, dust, loud noise, power tools and heavy equipment is occasionally required